That obnoxious squeak coming from your furnace is not normal. If you’ve noticed some unusual noises or are wincing at your monthly heating bill, it may be time to upgrade your heater. Gorman Mechanical outlines the top five signs that indicate when it’s time to replace your HVAC.
1. Your Heating System Is at Least 10 Years Old – If you have had your HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and cooling) system for ten years or longer, it’s likely time to upgrade it. Older furnace systems range only from 56% to 70% efficiency. Modern systems may run at up to 99% efficiency. As technology increases, most new systems convert all fuel or energy to useful heat, helping to greatly reduce your monthly bills.
2. Weird Noises – As mentioned above, loud or strange noises indicate your system is not healthy. Best-case scenario you need a tune-up; worst-case scenario may require a full replacement.
Specific noises that warrant immediate inspection include rumbling, booming, squeaking, and clanking. Potential issues may range from a simple pilot light adjustment to a series of broken parts that spell upgrade. Your best bet is to not ignore the warning signs. Be proactive to prevent more trouble and exorbitant spending down the road.
3. Old Ducts – Your ancient ducts may be leading to inconsistent heating throughout your home. If you notice some rooms are too hot and some are too cold, you may be having duct problems.
When ducts are working efficiently, they distribute air properly throughout your home. If they are clogged or are leaky, your ducts can’t do their job, forcing your HVAC unit to work too hard for disproportionately little heat output. Calling an HVAC technician will help you determine if you simply need to seal your ducts or replace them all together.
4. Humidity Issues – Especially in North Texas where humidity can be a problem, outdated equipment and leaky ductwork can cause your internal air to be too dry in the winter and too moist in the summer. By upgrading to a newer, more efficient model, you can easily reduce dry winter air that triggers sinuses and allergies. A better unit will also preserve your home’s porous materials, such as woodwork, floors, pianos, and other treasured valuables.
5. Inefficient Thermostat – If your thermostat is old, you may be blocking your home’s efficiency when you leave for long periods of time every day. Without a programmable thermostat, you don’t have a way of accurately turning down the temperature when you are away. By switching to a smart or programmable thermostat, you’ll find a whole range of models that work in conjunction with your smart phone or wi-fi, allowing you to program it remotely and carefully regulate your home’s temperature to save on energy you don’t need to be consuming it.
With all these signs to look for, you’ll be able to accurately know when to replace your HVAC. If you have any questions or need our help to recommend models and products, contact us today at Gorman Mechanical.
Gorman Mechanical is interested in complete customer satisfaction and delivers on promises made. I have been completely satisfied with their integrity, honesty, customer loyalty, thoroughness and continued follow up. I feel fortunate to have located their outstanding company among the many in the industry.- Mark
Gorman Mechanical installed a brand new cooling and heating system in my home. The replacement unit was larger and more energy efficient. Our house has never been cooler and our energy bill even went down…. I highly recommend them and their services.- Thomas
I had an issue with my A/C unit not cooling properly. The technician, Stacy, arrived during the time frame I was given, and I received a phone call about 30 minutes prior to his arrival, letting me know he was on his way. He was very professional and conscientious in figuring out and explaining the issue to me. He work was complete in a little over an hour and my house is cool once again! I will definitely refer Gorman Mechanical to others.- S.M.
A Gorman technician came over to set us up with a new A/C unit and he did a phenomenal job. He was very up front with any cost and got our install scheduled in one day. He did a great job at getting me the unit needed without running the price through the roof.- Allen
I met with Gorman Mechanical’s Sales Manager. When he came out I had a bad taste in my mouth due to some misrepresentations made by another company that happened to be A rated on Angie’s List. Because of this I’m certain I was on the defensive and asked a million questions. He was very patient and took plenty of time answering all my questions. He was very knowledgeable and helped educate me on my options and the advantages/shortfalls of each. When I came to the actual bid, I felt it was very competitive compared to other bids I’d received. I felt so well informed and confident at that point I cancelled two other appointments I’d made for that day and signed up with Gorman Mechanical. He was able to promptly arrange a great deal on financing the bulk of the cost, leaving me to pay out of pocket for a couple last minute additions (extended warranty/Reme Halo). They did not want this until installation was complete. A couple days later they installed my new system and I’ve been very happy with it. Shortly after installation I had several other questions about maintenance and a small amount that was overcharged upon installation. He was very responsive answering my questions and arranging for a prompt refund check to be sent. Fortunately, it isn’t often that I need to spend so much money on an important purchase like this, but I felt very confident with my decision and going through the process with him and Gorman Mechanical made it painless. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Gorman Mechanical to friends and family.- Rick
The repairman, Tim H., was prompt and courteous. I explained that he was a second opinion for our 21-year-old AC. The first company said that I would need 2 parts totaling $600 plus a coil that they would have to send a salesman out to quote me a price. Also first company was suggesting that I really needed whole new system. After inspection, Tim showed me how a part was wired the wrong way and he replaced a compactor and repaired a burnt wire. 2 lbs Freon were added. Total cost was retail: $217.75. I had a warranty so I paid less but what a difference in $600.00+ and $217.75! AC is working fine now. And we didn’t have to buy a new system. Thanks, Gorman Mechanical and Tim H.! The world needs more honest repairmen like you!- Jeannie